Sister company to An Orange Moon, Estate Sale Goddess is proud to liquidate the estate of:
Lerone Bennett: The Historian of Black America
Known in most circles as the Historian of Black America, Estate Sale Goddess is humbled to present the:
Estate of Lerone Bennett Jr.
Often called “the peoples historian” Bennett was a trusted and revered scholar! His books, poems and short stories have been translated into 6 different languages. He is the author of more than 10 books that speak to the Black Experience in the USA. He’s received numerous awards, letters and honors, one of the highest being the “MLK, Salute to Greatness” award. Did I mention he was classmates with Dr. King? They were both Morehouse Men! So without further ado, we present to you the estate of the MAN, the LEGACY, the LEGEND, Mr. Lerone Bennett Jr.
Desk of Lerone Bennett in ONE of his home offices.
The estate of the late Hyde Park resident, author, journalist and social historian Lerone Bennett Jr. will be liquidated this April.
The firm Estate Sale Goddess will host a liquidation sale of Bennett’s items from Saturday, April 14, and Sunday, April 15, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at his former estate in the Newport Building, 4800 S. Chicago Beach Drive – Units 1901 and 1902 North Tower.
“Mr. Lerone Bennett often called the “people’s historian” was a trusted and revered scholar,” said Lynne McDaniel, owner of Estate Sale Goddess. “Estate Sale Goddess is humbled to announce the upcoming estate liquidation.”
According to McDaniel, the sale is open to the public and will feature African American memorabilia and Americana collected by Bennett, of historic photographs, signed paintings, writings, Africana, extensive and complete jazz and music collections, vintage mid-century modern furnishings from Ed Wormley for Dunbar to Vitre, along with an incredibly extensive library. (Actually he has TWO!)
“This is an opportunity for the world to enter into a historic sanctuary previously enjoyed by luminaries, celebrities, activists, writers, poets, politicians and artists,” McDaniel said.
Prior to his estate, Bennett was known as an African-American scholar for his analysis and work on race relations in the United States. Bennett’s best-known work includes “Before the Mayflower (1962)” and “Forced into Glory (2000),” a book about U.S. President Abraham Lincoln.
This is a very important read, but can we pause for just a brief moment to embrace the WPA style artwork on the cover?
Bennett also served as a soldier during the Korean War and was a graduate of Morehouse College in 1949. Bennett became a journalist for the Atlanta Daily World in 1949, continuing his stint at the publication until 1953. Following his stint at the Atlanta Daily World, Bennett served as city editor for JET magazine from 1952 to 1953. The magazine was founded by John H. Johnson in 1945, who first founded its parent magazine, Ebony, that year.
In 1953, Bennett became an associate editor of Ebony magazine, taking on the role of executive editor in 1958. The magazine served as his base for the publication of a steady stream of articles on African-American history, with some collected and published as books over his 50-year career.
Ed Wormley for Dunbar
Bennett was credited with the phrase: “Image Sees, Image Feels, Image Acts,” meaning the images that people see influence how they feel, and ultimately how they act.
Expect these items in this historic sale!
- Margaret Burroughs Signed Artwork
- African statutes in framed shadow box 18×13
- Colorful Blown Glass Bowl
- African Senufo Hornbill Bird — Two Available
- Richard Hunt Print
- African Chiwara Male Headdress
- African Dogon Mask
- African Baule Mask
- Lobi Headrest Stool
- He Ain’t Heavy Print signed by Gilbert Young
- William Carter Artwork
- Ashanta Stool/Dwa
- African Mossi Wango Plank Mask
- Baule Seated Female Asie Usu Statute
- Etched Crystal Vase with Refrain from “Ella’s Song.”
- Chicago 1779 -DuSable’s Cabin limited edition print by Raoul Varin
- Photo Large Color: Lerone Bennett Jr; Wm Warfield; Etta Moten Barnett; Della Reese; John Johnson
- Photo Color: Hillary Clinton & Gloria Bennett
- Photo B&W: LERONE BENNETT JR in demonstration in Chicago
- Photo Large Color: LERONE BENNETT JR & Dick Gregory; Andrew Young
- Photo B&W: Lou Gosset & LERONE BENNETT JR
- Framed Chicago Sinfonietta poster signed To Lerone Best Wishes Paul Freeman
- Photo B&W: LERONE BENNETT JR & Miles Davis
- Photos 3 color: Salute to greatness – LERONE BENNETT JR and family; King family; Andrew Young, John Johnson
- Award with first edition US postage stamps of African American legends presented to LERONE BENNETT JR by National Professionals Network, Inc. Living Legend Award 2002
- Framed Vintage Poster Jim Hill High School Senior Prom May 18, 1945 Music by Duke Bennett
- State of MS Senate Concurrent Resolution Commending Literary Career of LERONE BENNETT JR, March 9, 2007
- Photo B&W: LERONE BENNETT JR Jimmy Carter, signed by Jimmy Carter
- Photo Color: Pres. Clinton, Gloria Bennett and LERONE BENNETT JR
- Photo Color: Arkansas Gov Bill Clinton, LERONE BENNETT JR & Others
- Photo B&W MLK & LERONE BENNETT JR 43×33
- Photo B&W Maya Angelou & Lerone Bennett Jr
- Storming Fort Wagner, copyright 1890 Kurz & Allison art publishers
- Battle of Nashville, copyright 1891 Kurz & Allison art publishers
- African Mother Carrying Child by Kofi Bailey
- Caricature of Lerone Bennett Jr by Harry Pulver Jr
- Matinee jazz session Lerone Bennett Jr v Fred Taylor vintage poster
- National Black Sports & Entertainment Hall of Fame Inductees 2004 Commemorative Poster
- Spears from 1960s trip to Africa with Kente Cumberbund
- Photograph color Paint Brushes 2004 by Ashley Raymond
- Tiffany Desk/Mantel Clock with Award Notation on Top
- Two-tiered glass coffee table with marble legs
- Ed Wormley for Dunbar white sofa
- White curved sofa
- MCM Vitre Tiered Table with Laminate Top
- Glass Round Top Table with Glass Legs
- Two Dining Chairs
- Night stand
- Nightstand lamp
- Bedroom set: Twin beds with headboards; Chest of drawers; Mirror; Desk with hutch; Dresser
- Bedding for twin beds
- Dressing table
- White wicker etagere
- Slipper chair with storage in seat.
- Jewelry box
- Mid Century Modern Furniture
- Armani Suits
- Dress Shirts (some monogrammed)
- Bill Blass Smoking Jacket
- Burberry Trench
- Vintage Dress Overcoat
- Casual & Sport Clothes & Tees, including vintage Morehouse Tee Shirts
- OFFICE & LIBRARY
- Books, books, books in two rooms! One library and one Study!
- IBM Correcting Selectric Typewriter
- Morehouse memorabilia
- Dictionary table
- Photo B&W of book release Wade in the Water
- Computer & Printer station
- 3 hole punch
- West Germany quartz movement clock
- Pencil sharpener electric
- HP Office jet 4620 printer
- Paper cutter
- 7 bookcases 82”x 36”
- Office chairs
- Swift Telescopes with Tripods — Two Available
- Nambe butterfly bowls
- Two frog pen holders
- Desk Items
- Black graduation robe with Kente cloth strips 3 on each side
- Leather card wallet
- Vintage Jet Magazines
- Vintage Ebony Magazines
- Selmar Clarinet with Case
- Borgani Italy Soprano Saxophone
- LPs: Jazz and Classical — hundreds of each — extensive collection!
- CDs: Jazz and Classical — hundreds of each — extensive collection!
- Laser Discs: Popular Movies and Musicals
- Reel to Reel Music Tapes
- Open Cabinets for Stereo Equipment – two available
- Sony DVD DVP-S900 ES
- Mark Levinson Digital Processor 36
- Mitshubishi VHS
- NAD 533 Turntable
- Audio Research Preamplifier SP14
- Panasonic DVD Video Recorder
- Sony DVD Player
- Sony CD Changer 5 Disc
- Sony VHS/DVD Player
- Sony BETA Cassette Recorder
- Pioneer Laser Disc Player Elite CLD-91 & Laser Discs (Empire Strikes Back and other popular titles)
- Infinity RS 3001 Speakers -two
- B&W Nautilus HTM2 Center Speaker
- Velodine Subwoofer
- Babolat Tennis Rackets – Two
- Leed’s Salt & Pepper Grinders
- 12 Silverplate over Brass Goblets
- Dish Set by Neiman Marcus China Japan
- Dish Set by Cosmos China Japan
- Entertaining Set MCM Pewter by Mastad
- 12 Arcoroc 21 France salad plates
- 6 handpainted made in occupied Japan salad plates
- 2 sets of Porcelain snack/dessert plates with tea cups
- Jyoto China made in occupied japan Dish Set
- Pots & Pans – Cuisinart and Vitrex and Calphalon
- Silverplate Coffee & Tea Pots
- Cooking Utensils
- Baking Pans
- Roasting Pans
- Electric Knife
- Remington Fine China Set
- Pottery Pitcher
- Red Bagel Toaster
- 6 speed Blender 500 watt motor
- Turkey Plate Large
- Knives with Block and Sharpener
- Vintage Opera Black Velvet Cape
Besties with MILES DAVIS & SARAH VAUGHN, Mr Bennett has the largest Jazz musical collection I’ve ever seen!
And played on Mark Levinson audio equipment!
Several pieces by Margaret Burroughs.
And these extraordinary pieces!
There is no way I can pay homage to this great man in a short blog. If you’re in Chicago, or the surrounding areas, it would behoove you to attend this special event. Remember, April 14, 15, 16, 2018. 9-3! 4800 S Chicago Beach Drive. Right around the corner from President Obama’s house. Exit off the Hyde Park exit.
Your ESTATE SALE GODDESS
Lynne McDaniel, MA